High court rejects ex-president application to grant an injunction stopping (MEC) from announcing election results
By Amalawi - Thu May 22, 3:59 pm
Blantyre Malawi: The High court in Blantyre has thrown out the People’s party (PP) application to grant an injunction stopping Malawi Electoral Commission (MEC), Zodiak Broadcasting Station (ZBS) and Malawi Broadcasting Corporation (MBC) from announcing both official and unofficial election results. It was Justice Mike Tembo who threw out PP’s application for injunction. This comes a few hours after MEC dismissed PP for making serious allegations without any backing evidence.
Meanwhile the US State Department has advised Malawi’s leadership to respect the will of Malawians by accepting the results of the poll. This is a diplomatic way of saying please concede defeat.
MEC chairman Mr Max Mbendera has rejected and dismissed the call to recount all votes, Mbendera has said the current counting system has not been rigged and that all results are being verified by observes before they are announced. He went on to announce that results will be announced with 8 days as required by law.
In their preliminary assessment of the election, European Union and Commonwealth observers said it had been “peaceful, orderly and transparent”, although there had been “serious shortcomings” in the distribution of election material and “isolated incidents of violence” because of the delays.
Around 7.5 million people were eligible to vote in the fifth elections since the end of one-party rule 20 years ago.